Pier and Beam Foundation Repair San Marcos TX
Pier and beam foundation repair San Marcos TX protect homes from flooding and moisture. For instance, in south Texas, pier and beam-style foundations are very common. However, foundations use available local materials in the past. This is why many old pier and beam foundations have cedar posts. Unlike cedar posts, new pier and beam foundations are constructed using steel-reinforced concrete pedestal piers with a large footing to distribute weight. Not only are they are of better quality, they are also a long-lasting solution that meets the 2015 Residential building code standard.
Pier and beams have three main parts.
- Footings act as the anchors of the foundation, made from reinforced masonry and reinforced concrete. These footings should be installed below the maximum frost depth.
- Piers are installed on the footings. Piers made from pressure-treated wood. They are spaced 8 to 12 inches apart.
- Beams are placed on the top of the piers before being leveled and secured. Next, floor joists are then laid on top of the beams in a perpendicular position. Finally, the floorboards supporting the building’s first level are placed on the joists.
Why do you need pier and beam foundation repair San Marcos TX?
Homes with pier and beams have wood frames. As a result, these make prone to deterioration due to some factors like termite damage, dry-rot and even normal degradation because of the age of the materials used. Sooner or later, all these factors can cause issues with your foundation.
Shifting soils can affect pier and beam foundations. Additionally, water penetrating the crawl-space and causing the soil to expand and contract is what causes shifting soils. As a result, these movements can cause cracks or shifting inside the home above.
But there are several steps you can take to prevent this type of movement:
- To prevent water penetration, make sure the home is properly skirted with an adequate moisture barrier.
- Check the surrounding soils if they shed water.
- Install gutters with downspouts that direct water away from the home.
When do you need a pier and beam foundation repair San Marcos TX?
Do you have doors or windows that don’t open and close like they used to? Or maybe you’ve noticed cracks in your interior or exterior walls. Do your front steps no longer properly meet up with your entry doors? Perhaps you’ve even noticed a bow or sag in your walls or roofline? These are all signs that you may have a foundation issue. The longer these issues exist unaddressed, the more extensive and costly the damage can become.
When you start to notice any of these things, it’s time to call the experts!
Mon-Thu 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Fri 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Follow Us On Social Media